A World Lit Only By Fire
Summer Reading Assignment
Section 1: The Medieval Mind
1. Whose country was described as "the back of a horse?"
The Huns because they turned war into an industry
2. Who declared he was "above grammar?"
The Holy Roman Emperor
3. Who invaded Rome in A.D. 410?
4. Who was the last Roman emperor of the west?
5. What were the serfs' basic agricultural tools?
6. Why did outlaws flourish in the Hercynian Forest?
7. What replaced Rome as the imperial fixer of European frontiers?
8. What is the Nicene Creed?
9. What was the first great work to shape and define the medieval mind?
10. What did Canossa symbolize?
Secular submission because Henry IV gave in after spending three days in the snow.
11. When did the designation of saints emerge?
12. Why did Leo III become a very unpopular emperor?
13. From where did the name exchequer emerge?
14. What was the lowest title of the aristocratic order?
15. Why were proclamations from the Holy See called bulls?
16. Why was the papacy moved to Avignon in 1305?
17. Why do we know nothing of the architects and builders of Chartres or
18. What was the Great Schism?
19. When did the Renaissance begin?
Section 2: The Shattering